Friday, July 12, 2013

Badge of Belonging

The pastor in my church is always reminding people to wear their nametags to worship. We have them prominently displayed at the entrances of our church and people are supposed to grab them as they come through the doors. With over 450 members, nametags are a practical way to meet and greet each other in a community where it is impossible to get to know everyone when you are with them for a few hours a week.
A few months ago, one of the younger women in our congregation started bringing a friend. I’m not sure the exact status of their relationship, but that doesn’t matter to me. This person is obviously important to her and so he is also important to us. As I was talking with them one morning, the young women pointed out that her friend didn’t have a nametag and she was wondering if that was something only members receive or if visitors could also have nametags.

Without hesitation I took down her friend’s name (spelled correctly) and asked our church secretary if she would make one for him. The next Sunday he found his nametag hanging next to hers on the rack. I ran into them again this past weekend and when I pointed out his nametag he proudly shared with me all of the welcomes he had received and all of the people who had visited with him since he got his nametag. It seems that knowing his name gave everyone an opening to get to know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment